B.Sc. Electrical Engineering, Queen’s University 1985
*Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator
Areas of Practice
- Fire Protection Engineering
- Performance-Based Solution
- Fire Systems Design
- Fire Systems Commissioning
- Fire Modeling
- Building and Fire Code Consulting
- Fire Safety Planning
- Authority Relations
- Forensic Investigative Engineering
- Origin and Cause
- Due Diligence
RJ Bartlett Engineering Ltd, Fredericton, NB 1995 to Present
- Project Coordinator (2021 – Present)
- President (2016 – 2021)
- General Manager (2000 – 2015)
- Fire Protection Consultant
Leber/Rubes Inc., Toronto and Ottawa, ON 1988-1995
Rolf Jensen & Associates Ltd., Toronto, ON 1985-1988
- Fire Protection Systems Designer
- Code Consultant
- Commissioning Agent
- Registered/Licensed with Professional Engineering Associations in the following Provinces and Territories:
- New Brunswick
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers (Member)
- Consulting Engineers of New Brunswick (President, 1998 – 1999)
- Association of Consulting Engineers of Canada (Board, 2003 – 2007)
- FiRECAM Atlantic Working Group
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- Member of Performance-Based Fire Protection Analysis and Design Task Group
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick
- Admissions & Internship Committee 1996 – 2002
- Consulting Practice Committee 2000 – 2001 (Chair)
- Canadian Standards Association
- Member, Former Technical Subcommittee on Health Care Facility Commissioning
- Underwriters’ Laboratories of Canada
- Member of Inspection and Testing (S536), Verification (S537), and Ancillary Devices (S573)
- National Building Code of Canada
- Member of Standing Committee on Use and Egress, 2009 – Present
Papers and Presentations
The following represents a sample of the presentations/articles by Ian MacDonald.
- Alternative Solutions Process, Manitoba Building Officials Association, Winnipeg, MB, 2019.
- National Building Code, Fire and Emergency Services NL, St. John’s, NL, 2015.
- Fire Safety Plans, City of Charlottetown, PE, 2012.
- Intents and Objectives of the National Building Code, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Gatineau, QC, 2011.
- Sprinkler and Standpipe Systems, New Brunswick Building Officials Association, April 2008.
- Part 3 of the National Building Code, Daltech, 2003/Present.
- Objective-Based Codes and Performance-Based Solutions, Daltech, 2002/Present.
- Effective Application of Codes Technical Seminars, Halifax, NS, November 2000.
- Performance-Based Solutions, New Brunswick Building Officials Association, 1999.
- Part 4 of the National Fire Code, Nova Scotia Association of Fire Chiefs, 1998.
- Fire Protection for the Palladium Arena Complex (Corel Centre ), Society of Fire Protection Engineers, Ottawa, 1995.
- “Smoke Control Systems Commissioning: A Team Effort”, Canadian Consulting Engineer, July/August 1991.
- Development and Application of Fire Exposure Requirements, Ontario Building Officials Association, 1987.